Role Title: Brick Works Front of House Volunteer
Responsible to: The Brick Works FOH & Retail Advisor /Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Assisting The Brick Works FOH
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Works, Hodson Street , Wigan.
Main purpose of role
The Brick Works FOH Volunteer role is essential in supporting the established Brick Works FOH and Retail team and to help increase the reputation, foot fall and income The Brick Works shop floor generates. The Brick Works is about delivering a positive reuse message to the community, to sell good quality pre-loved furniture, electrical goods, paint and other items as well as receiving donated items, liaising with the public, professional agencies and those using our services and occasionally cashing up. Quite often trainees from The Brick Works who have expressed an interest in retail may undertake a placement at The Brick Works and we require Brick Work FOH volunteers to be accommodating, friendly and supportive. The Brick Works is part of The Queens Hall Action on Poverty and The Brick Project.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh in an asset based approach (i.e. Emphasis placed on an individual’s assets as well as their support needs). QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Ensure that everyone is made welcome in a timely manner who enters the Brick Works
- Ensure that visitors sign in and out
- To receive, sort, price and display incoming items using own initiative or guidance from the existing FOH team
- To liaise effectively with customers, visitors, volunteers, staff and those using our services
- Be a positive and passionate ambassador for The Brick
- To assist with general shop duties including cleaning rotas
- Attend meetings as required
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Maintain confidentiality of those using our service
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick Project support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick Project and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from The Brick Works for volunteering sessions.
The nature of The Brick Works FOH Volunteer is to be part of a dedicated and committed team running the shop floor across 5 days . It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular session or sessions and the hours of those sessions subject to requested leave. Commitment is also expected with regards to attending supervision, team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Knowledge interest in The Brick as an organisation
- Friendly, enthusiastic and kind with customers, the public, visitors, staff and other volunteers
- Non-judgemental approach
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com