Role Title: Brick Works Van Driver / Mate Volunteer
Responsible to: Brick Works Manager & Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Providing practical support to the Van Driver and The Brick Works Team
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Works, 4 Hodson Street, Wigan, WN1 1LU
Main purpose of role
As a Brick Works Van Mate Driver / Driver’s Mate Volunteer you will be the forward face of the charity during your time out and about in the community and whilst at The Brick Works, The Brick Shop and other Brick sites. The Brick Works van has a busy daily schedule delivering and collecting bulky items of donated furniture and welfare referrals across the borough. The role does require an amount physical strength and fitness as you will be part of a team loading and unloading the van. You will also be a positive role model for those individuals using the service who may be on traineeship placements with us on the van.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh in an asset based approach (i.e. Emphasis placed on an individual’s assets as well as their support needs). QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Support the Brick Works van driver as and when arranged
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Establish appropriate boundaries and rapport with those using the service
- Provide support, guidance and encouragement to those using the service and other volunteers/staff
- Remain non-judgemental on an individual’s lifestyle choices
- Liaise with Brick Works staff, working as a team to signpost and solve problems
- Maintain confidentiality of those using the service
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding and light domestic duties i.e. supporting general duties at The Brick Works
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions within borough.
The nature of the Brick Works Van Driver / Driver’s Mate volunteer role is to help establish a reliable and dedicated team across Monday – Friday 9.00am – 4.30pm. All volunteers are provided full training and support to feel fully comfortable in their role, irrelevant of their previous knowledge and experience. Commitment is also expected where possible with regards to attending team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- If volunteering as a driver a full and current driving licence is required and a copy kept on file
- An ability to lift and move heavy items
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to use problem solving skills
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org