Role Title: Gearing Up Volunteer
Responsible to: Gearing Up Mentor/Volunteer Co-Ordinator
Responsible for: Assisting in the service and repair or bicycles
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: Gearing Up at The Brick Works
Main purpose of role
The Gearing Up Volunteer will work alongside the Gearing Up mentor to help service and repair bicycles that are donated or that come in from customers for maintenance, repair and servicing.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- To assist in the identification of bicycles and parts suitable for upcycling
- To strip, clean and prepare suitable bikes or any other items suitable for selling
- To paint and repair bikes or any other items for selling
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Maintain confidentiality of individuals using the Brick services
- Maintain a tidy and safe work area
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions.
The nature of the Gearing Up Volunteer is to develop a professional relationship with individuals accessing Brick services, staff and other volunteers and to offer practical help and support to the Gearing Up team and mentor. It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular session or sessions and the hours of those sessions subject to requested leave. Commitment is also expected with regards to attending supervision, team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- An interest in cycle maintenance
- Non-judgemental approach
- Friendly, enthusiastic and kind with those using our services, the public, staff, partnership contacts and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org