Role Title: Night Shelter / Hub Volunteer
Responsible to: Night Shelter / Hub Team Leader
Responsible for: Assisting staff and security to provide a safe and welcoming environment to the individuals using the night shelters and Hubs.
Hours of Work: 4 or more hours per week
- The Wigan Hub, Coops Building, 11 Dorning Street, Wigan WN1 1HR
- The Leigh Hub, The Old Courthouse, Chapel Street, Leigh, WN7 2PS
- St George’s ABEN, Water Street, Wigan, WN1 1XD
- The Brick Works, 4 Hodson Street, Wigan, WN3 4EN
Main purpose of role
The Night Shelter / Hub Volunteer Role is key to supporting the night shelter/ Hub team leaders in providing a safe, warm and welcoming environment for the individuals using the night shelter and Hub services. The Night Shelter/Hub Volunteer Role will offer support in domestic duties, counselling and listening skills, some support work where appropriate, Safeguarding vulnerable adults and adhering to Professional Boundaries policies alongside the team leaders and security personnel.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Attend the night shelters / Hubs as and when arranged on the rota.
- Support the team in preparing and serving the meals.
- Prepare and supervise the provision of hot and cold drinks.
- Support the team and individuals maintain a clean and tidy environment.
- Engage with the individuals in the service and encourage asset based conversations and positive discussion, promote the other services of The Brick and signpost accordingly.
- Be vigilant in reporting any Safeguarding concerns that arise in line with our Safeguarding Policies.
- Maintain confidentiality of the individuals using the service.
- Participate in initial and ongoing training.
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including Safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions within borough.
The nature of the Night Shelter / Hub Volunteer is to be part of a reliable and dedicated team across 7 nights and Saturday & Sunday mornings that offer practical and emotional help and support. It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular slot or slots every week or every other week where possible.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Non-judgemental asset based approach i.e. emphasis placed on an individual’s strengths and preferences
- Friendly and kind with individuals using the service, staff and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com