Role Title: Outreach & Engagement Volunteer
Responsible to: Outreach Team /Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Providing support, guidance and practical help to individuals rough sleeping alongside the existing Outreach Team.
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Project, 10 Arcade Street, Wigan WN1 1LU
Main purpose of role
As an Outreach & Engagement Volunteer you will be the forward face of the charity for the majority of the individuals who are rough sleeping in the Wigan borough. You will work alongside the existing team responding to rough sleep site reports, those currently rough sleeping and pro actively looking for rough sleepers across the borough. The Outreach and Engagement Team support individuals with a range of social and housing needs in an attempt to assist them to positively move forward from their present difficulties where non engagement has been a barrier.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Support the Outreach & Engagement team as and when arranged with them
- Be willing to peform outreach in town centres and more rural settings at sometimes unsociable hours
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Establish appropriate boundaries and rapport with those using the service
- Provide support, guidance and encouragement to those using the service and other volunteers/staff
- Remain non-judgemental on an individual’s lifestyle choices
- Liaise with Brick Project staff, working as a team to signpost and solve problems
- Maintain confidentiality of those using the service
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding and light domestic duties i.e. keeping the CI and reception areas tidy
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick Project support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions within borough.
The nature of the Outreach & Engagement volunteer role is to be the forward face of the Brick and to provide practical help to the existing team and to support those sleeping rough helping to establish a reliable and dedicated team. Commitment is also expected where possible with regards to attending team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- An understanding of the range of possible issued that may be presented by the individuals using the service or indeed not engaging with the services of The Brick
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to show empathy with an individual’s situation
- Non-judgemental asset based approach i.e. emphasis based on an individual’s strengths and preferences
- Ability to use problem solving skills
- Ability to use action planning skills
- Comfortable handling emotionally sensitive information
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- A basic level of computer literacy
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com