Role Title: PAT Tester Volunteer
Responsible to: Retail Manager & Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Providing PAT Testing to The Brick Shops
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Works, 4 Hodson Street, Wigan, WN1 1LU
Main purpose of role
As a PAT Test Volunteer you will be a really valued member of the team across the organisation. The Brick Works Shop Floor and the Brick Shops receive regular donations of pre loved electrical items and in order for these to benefit us to their maximum potential we need to ensure their safety by way of a PAT test before we can retail them. The PAT tester will also, subject to their availability visit various Brick sites and complete PAT tests on our own existing appliances. The role does require an exam and certification which following training and revision The Brick will finance. You will also be a positive role model for those individuals using the service who may express an interest in gaining this same qualification.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh in an asset based approach (i.e. Emphasis placed on an individual’s assets as well as their support needs). QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Work towards and revise for a PAT Test exam
- Support the organisation with PAT testing as and when required subject to your availability
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Establish appropriate boundaries and rapport with those using the service
- Provide support, guidance and encouragement to those using the service and other volunteers/staff
- Maintain confidentiality of those using the service
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding and light domestic duties i.e. supporting general duties at The Brick Works
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from The Brick for volunteering sessions within borough.
The nature of PAT Test Volunteer role is to help establish a reliable and dedicated team who can PAT test electrical appliances at our retail sites and across the wider organisation in a timely manner. All volunteers are provided full training and support to feel fully comfortable in their role, irrelevant of their previous knowledge and experience. Commitment is also expected where possible with regards to attending team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- If not already accredited a PAT Test certificate will be required, training and exam provided.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to use problem solving skills
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org