Role Title: The Brick Project Canteen Volunteer
Responsible to: Admin Team /Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Assisting the Brick Project in serving hot lunches to individuals accessing The Brick services
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Project, 10 Arcade Street, Wigan, WN1 1LU
Main purpose of role
The Brick Project Canteen Volunteer will be a friendly and non-judgemental character who can work alongside another volunteer and serve hot lunches to those using our service at The Brick Project. The volunteer will keep the kitchen and canteen area clean and tidy also.
The Brick Project is part of The Queens Hall Action on Poverty and The Brick Project.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Be a positive and friendly face for those using our service, our staff and our volunteers
- To be able to serve hot lunches and refreshments for those using our service eligible for lunch
- To maintain high health and safety and food hygiene standards and a safe and clean working environment
- Attend meetings as required
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Maintain confidentiality within the organisation
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on The Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions.
The nature of The Brick Project Canteen Volunteer is to help formulate a reliable and friendly team to provide hot lunches throughout the week. It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular session or sessions and the hours of those sessions subject to requested leave. Commitment is also expected with regards to attending scheduled supervisions, team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Ability to serve meals and drinks and maintain a high standard of cleanliness in your volunteer area
- Non-judgemental approach
- Friendly, enthusiastic and kind with those using our services, the public, staff and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org