Role Title: The Brick Reuse Volunteer
Responsible to: Reuse Coordinator/Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Assisting in the Reuse and Reformation Project
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Works, 4 Hodson St, Wigan & Offsite & Recycling Centres
Main purpose of role
The Brick Re-Use Volunteer role is essential in developing The Brick Works & ReWorks reformation projects into a success. The Brick Works & ReWorks is about delivering positive reuse and recycling initiatives and The Brick Re-Use Volunteer will be a key player in this, they will be happy using their own transport (expenses refunded) to go individually or with another volunteer to three household waste recycling sites to select suitable items to be later brought back to The Brick Works for reformation. These items will then feed the retail sites and upcycling workshops.
The Brick Works and ReWorks is part of The Queens Hall Action on Poverty and The Brick Project.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Be a positive and passionate ambassador for recycling and reuse
- To be proactive in selecting suitable items for reformation projects
- Take part in community reuse/recycling sessions
- Attend meetings as required
- Participate in supervision meetings as required
- Maintain confidentiality within the organisation
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on The Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead of volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions.
The nature of The Brick Reuse Volunteer is to select appropriate items destined for landfill that can be restored, repaired or recycled back at The Brick Works. It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular session or sessions and the hours of those sessions subject to requested leave. Commitment is also expected with regards to attending scheduled supervisions, team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Knowledge interest in recycling, reusing and repurposing
- Non-judgemental approach
- Friendly, enthusiastic and kind with those using our services, the public, staff and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com