Role Title: Volunteer Mentor
Responsible to: Training & Resource Manager / Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Assisting in the mentoring and support of individuals looking to access employment, work experiences, traineeships.
Hours of Work: 4 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Works, 4 Hodson Street, Wigan, WN3 4EN
Main purpose of role
The Volunteer Mentor Role is key to supporting the existing team empower the individuals using our service with self-esteem, confidence and wellbeing. In addition the role will focus on skills development of the individuals using the service with a view to increasing training opportunities, education and employment prospects including making links with local training providers and employers.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Meet on a regular basis with the appointed individuals and using an asset based approach discuss and work towards objectives, targets and overcoming barriers.
- Liaise with the Training & Resource manager regarding progress and proposals
- Record Attended and Did Not Attend Meetings on Lamplight
- Using the Outcome Star & Work Star plot progress and engagement or lack there of
- Maintain existing training and work placement providers and enhance the offer by creating new partnerships with employers in the local area.
- Be vigilant in reporting any Safeguarding concerns that arise in line with our Safeguarding Policies
- Maintain confidentiality of clients
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead of volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions.
The nature of the Volunteer Mentor is to develop a professional relationship with those using our service, staff and other volunteers and offer practical and emotional help and support. It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular session or sessions and the hours of those sessions subject to requested leave or arrange with their designated trainee ad hoc dates that suits them both.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Non-judgemental asset based approach
- Friendly and kind with those using our service, staff and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com