Handy Man / Woman / Maintenance Volunteer
|Responsible to:||Estates Manager / Volunteer Coordinator|
|Responsible for:||Assisting with general maintenance activities across the Brick Buildings|
|Hours of Role:||4 or more hours per week|
|Location:||The Brick Works, 4 Hodson Street, Wigan, WN3 4EN & in the community|
Main purpose of role
The Handy Man/woman/ Maintenance Volunteer Role, is key to supporting the estate manager with general Maintenance across the Brick buildings, which include two retail shops, the Brick Works and the Brick Project. The Volunteer will work both independently and with the Estates Manager on general maintenance and ad hoc jobs and will be able to also support the individuals using our service and engage with our charity to help increase their self-esteem, confidence and wellbeing.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shops
- The Brick Project building
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Practical support with General Maintenance and odd Jobs, such as Basic plumbing, movement of furniture, basic painting and decorating, Hanging and re-fixing items, general repairs etc
- Be able to work independently if required, in one of our shops or staffed buildings.
- Be a positive member of The Brick team when dealing with members of the public and partnership agencies.
- Have full, clean, driving licence
- Be prepared to be DBS Checked
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Undertake any other duties as assigned
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from The Brick for volunteering sessions and your mileage should you be required to use your own vehicle.
The nature of the handyman/woman volunteer is to help and support the estates manager. It would be expected after the initial induction/ training that the volunteer would commit to a regular session or sessions and the hours of those sessions.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- A sound Knowledge of and have good practical skills, in general maintenance and repairs
- Knowledge of and ability to use, basic hand power tools
- General Health and Safety knowledge
- Non-judgemental asset based approach
- Friendly and kind with those using our service, staff and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions