Role Title: News & Brews Volunteer
Responsible to: Training & Resource Manager/ Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Assisting the ‘News & Brews’ session at The Brick Project
Hours of Work: 3 or more hours per week
Location: The Brick Project, 10 Arcade Street, Wigan, WN1 1LU
Main purpose of role
The News & Brews Volunteer Role is key to supporting The Brick Project and The Brick Works team leaders in providing a safe, warm and welcoming environment for the individuals using the night shelter and hub services at the start of their day. The News & Brews Volunteer Role will offer support by way of a casual mentoring approach using counselling and listening skills and some support work where appropriate. This is a new session we are trialling out in a bid to engage more individuals in our daytime activities, projects, training and courses as well as those we have brokered in the community.
About the organisation
Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty (QHAP) is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh. QHAP is a Christian Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. Our services include
- The Brick Works
- The Brick Shop
- The ReWorks
- The Brick Project – including food bank, outreach, crisis intervention and emergency access accommodation.
Our Organisation provides several homelessness services to the Wigan Borough.
- Attend the News & Brews sessions at The Brick Project as arranged
- Support the individuals using The Wigan Hub and St George’s ABEN by way of positive conversation and encouragement to engage in the day ahead using an asset based approach
- Prepare and supervise the provision of hot and cold drinks.
- Support the team and individuals maintain a clean and tidy environment.
- Be vigilant in reporting any Safeguarding concerns that arise in line with our Safeguarding Policies.
- Maintain confidentiality of the individuals using the service.
- Participate in initial and ongoing training.
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including Safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions within borough.
The nature of the Volunteer Coordinator Administration Volunteer role is to assist the Volunteer Coordinator with their work load. The volunteer in this post needs to commit to the hours agreed wherever possible so they can become a dependable and valued member of the team.
Commitment is also expected with regards to attending supervision, team meetings and training as and when required.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Non-judgemental asset based approach i.e. emphasis placed on an individual’s strengths and preferences
- Friendly and kind with individuals using the service, staff and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com