Role Title: Night Shelter / ABEN Volunteer
Responsible to: Night Manager / Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Assisting staff and security to provide a safe and welcoming environment to the individuals using the night shelter.
Hours of Work: 2 or more hours per week (7:30 pm – 9:30pm)
- ABEN, The Old Courthouse, Chapel Street, Leigh, WN7 2PS
Main purpose of role
The Night Shelter Volunteer Role is key to supporting the night shelter staff in providing a safe, warm, and welcoming environment for the individuals using the night shelter. The Night Shelter Volunteer Role will offer support in domestic duties, counselling and listening skills, some support work where appropriate. Safeguarding vulnerable adults and adhering to Professional Boundaries policies, alongside the team leaders and security personnel. Volunteers will contribute to this by helping deliver an effective and high-quality person-centred service at the Night Shelter.
About the organisation
The Brick is dedicated to delivering sustainable, quality, and effective services to the people of Wigan and Leigh.
- Attend the night shelter as and when arranged on the rota.
- Support the team in preparing and serving the meals.
- Prepare and supervise the provision of hot and cold drinks.
- Assist with inductions for new residents
- Support the team and individuals maintain a clean and tidy environment.
- Engage with the individuals in the service and encourage asset-based conversations and positive discussion, promote the other services of The Brick and signpost accordingly.
- Be vigilant in reporting any Safeguarding concerns that arise in line with our Safeguarding Policies.
- Maintain confidentiality of the individuals using the service.
- Participate in initial and ongoing training.
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including Safeguarding.
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervision (One to One’s with Team Lead):
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
The Brick will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions within borough.
The nature of the Night Shelter Volunteer is to be part of a reliable and dedicated team across 7 nights that offer practical and emotional help and support. It would be expected after training that the volunteer would commit to a regular slot or slots every week or every other week where possible.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- Non-judgemental asset-based approach i.e., emphasis placed on an individual’s strengths and preferences
- Friendly and kind with individuals using the service, staff, and other volunteers
- The ability to work well as part of a team and independently when necessary
- Reliability and commitment
- Basic numeracy/literacy
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Willingness to participate in relevant training and information sessions.
- Providing verbal feedback to staff.
Please contact Emma Shaw (volunteer coordinator) if you are interested in the role.