Role Title: Food Bank Van Driver Volunteer
Responsible to: Food Community Team Lead / Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for: Collecting food bank donations across the Wigan and Leigh borough
Hours of Work: 4 or more hours per week
Location: St George’s, Water St, Wigan, WN1 1DN
Main purpose of role
As a Food Bank Van Driver, you will be the forward face of the charity during your time out and about in the community. The Food Bank van has a busy daily schedule collecting donated items from across the borough, including from supermarkets and private donations. The role does require lifting and carrying as well competent driving skills and a valid UK driving licence.
- Driving to various food collection points across the borough and collecting donations for the food bank
- Unloading the van
- Making deliveries to Brick sites
- Occasional deliveries of food parcels to people’s homes
- Undertaking vehicle safety checks
- Working as part of the wider food bank team to undertake other tasks as required
- Attend food bank team meetings as required
- Participate in initial and ongoing training
- Be responsible, as required, for health and safety issues, including safeguarding and light domestic duties i.e. supporting general duties at the food bank
- Monitor own wellbeing and capacity and draw on Brick support as appropriate
- Be a positive representative of The Brick and the Queens Hall Action on Poverty
Knowledge, Skills & Qualities
- A full and current UK driving licence is required and a copy will need to be kept on file
- An ability to lift and move heavy items
- Good listening and communication skills
- Ability to use problem solving skills
- Flexibility and willing to help in other departments
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Confident working independently
- 25+ years old for insurance purposes
We need a small number of volunteer van drivers to help establish a reliable and dedicated team covering each day Monday to Friday. Volunteers are provided with full training and support to feel fully comfortable in their role, irrelevant of their previous knowledge and experience. Commitment is also expected where possible with regards to attending team meetings and training as and when required.
Training and Support:
Induction training will be provided as well as ongoing training and support.
Supervisions are not scheduled but we encourage you to request one with your team lead or volunteer coordinator at any point you feel this would be beneficial or as and when a concern arises.
QHAP will repay the cost of travel to and from the projects for volunteering sessions within borough.
Please download the attached documents for more information and return completed application forms to email@example.com
[download id=”5587″] [download id=”5511″]