Part of Queens Hall Action on Poverty, The Food Community, 65 Water St, Wigan WN1 1XD Company Number 08503176. Charity Number 1153055 © 2023 The Brick. Website by ATTAIN
CREDIT: Centre for Homelessness Impact / Liam McBurney/PA
The early Charity work was run by a body called the Help Committee but now runs under the simple title of The Brick.
Although there have been huge changes over the past century, the need for practical, caring, and effective help has never gone away.
The charity remains true to its long-standing commitment to working for and with local people in need.
We recognise the affliction of poverty, we recognise its impact in local neighbourhoods and on local people but we do not believe poverty and trauma is inevitable. Our vision is to provide a practical response working alongside people to help them rebuild but also to address and mitigate the causes. We know that the world is changing at an unprecedented pace, that requires a different approach to tackling the complex problems, that face our local communities today.
We wouldn’t be able to deliver our work to rebuild lives across the borough if it wasn’t for the vital support of our funders.
When we come together with a common goal, we are unstoppable as a society. We need to use that energy and focus to end homelessness now.
From the beginning, the Mission sought to fulfil the needs of the Wigan people, in practical, social, and spiritual ways. On Christmas Day breakfast was given to hundreds of bare-foot youngsters. The church started clothing collections for the poor, and soup kitchens. Throughout the Depression the needy were provided for, refugees were helped, and support given to young men enlisting for the war.
The 1st April 1908 marked the opening of Queen’s Hall as the permanent home of the Wigan Wesleyan Mission. In the early 20th century, the social context of Wigan was that of poverty and deprivation.
A fire severely damaged the main hall which was refurbished and reopened and in 1959 a purpose-built Memorial Chapel opened on the church premises.
The Queen’s Hall Help Committee was formed to begin work in identified areas of need. Portobello market raised £1000, as a deposit for Graham House, a hostel/refuge for abused women and their children. It opened in May 1972.
Queen’s Hall Help Committee was registered as a charity and the first permanently sited shop was opened on Gidlow Lane .
Queen’s Hall Fishing Net Café was opened, a non-profit making concern offering affordable food and companionship
The church began to hold social activities for homeless people, with over-night accommodation during Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Outreach to homeless people grew and developed
The Bricklayers Arms (The Brick) was opened in Hallgate offering crisis intervention and a small food bank service. This work was carried out under the umbrella of the Help Committee.
The Queen’s Hall Help Committee was replaced by Queen’s Hall Action on Poverty, affectionately known as The Brick and our work continues today.
Change a life, donate today